So I made a 2010 must read list. These are works I'd like to spend time with over the year and in a way I think these books worked their way into this list without me looking for them in any determined manner. Each of these titles surfaced several times in my various reading material in the past year or so.
The 2010 Reading List:
- Serendipities: Language and Lunacy - Umberto Eco
- The Infinities - John Banville
- Edward Burne-Jones: A Biography - Penelope Fitzgerald
- The Bookshop - Penelope Fitzgerald
- About Looking - John Berger
- Samuel Johnson's essays in The Rambler - recommended eloquently by Andrew O'Hagan in NYRB
- A Sentimental Education - Gustave Flaubert
- Speak, Memory - Vladimir Nabokov
- Brooklyn - Colm Toibin
- White Teeth - Zadie Smith
- We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver
- Out f Sheer Rage - Wrestling with D.H.Lawrence - Geoff Dyer
At the moment I am quite excited by this list. Come January and I'd choose the first of them. Rather I'd read number 1. Because who says you need to wait till January to choose.