Yet it is a list and lists are tempting. So here is an inspired version.
- I can never remember what bildungsroman means. Every time I come across the word I have to look it up
- For many years I used to say that good friends have matching interests. That invariably meant that I was looking for the good friends from those whose interests matched mine. A day came when I named my best friends (in my head) and I realized that we did not have many interests in common. Instead what we did share was a connectedness - what I like to call resonance
- Define Love - how many times one hears that question! one asks it to oneself, one asks others, others ask one. Pity that we need to define everything. Let me give it a try - it is a four letter word. It can be easily replaced by other four letter words pain, hate, like, life, lies, care and what other foul words have you. More commonly three letters would do - sex. Sometimes people use just two letters - it - I have it for him! Actually just one letter would do - I. The only love in the world that one has is for oneself, undeniably. If one were to go beyond the four letters mark one could throw in guilt, affection, compassion, companionship. So what is love? Ah no no, wrong turn. Define Love is what we started with. So define it shall be. Love is a euphemism (using an 'an' jars)
- I enjoy saying bourgeoise aloud. Likewise for subterfuge
- I am usually surprised by people who warm up to babies immediately. I mean how HOW do they do it?
- Long long ago a friend, writing about me in a slam book, said, L you know what you want and you want what you know. Years later I still think that is so true
- My favourite colours are black and blue. Beating who?
- Avunculize and cacozealous are the recent words I learnt the meanings of (remember all those transform sentences exercises? I learnt the meanings of avunculize and cacozealous recently)
- I borrowed Penelope Fitzgerald's Letters from the BCL last week, utterly thrilled to catch sight of it on the rack. Later I was delighted to see that I was the first borrower. Somewhat like the full attendance certificate from school!